A toddler died just hours after being sent home from A&E, with her parents told to simply keep her hydrated and dosed with Calpol.
Hailey Thompson, 22 months, had been diagnosed with a viral infection and returned home from hospital on Sunday, December 18.
Parents Kris Thompson, 32, and Iboyla Adam, 35, put her to bed at around 6.15pm. They found their child unresponsive less than six hours later and she was rushed to Wigan Infirmary where she tragically died.
READ MORE: Bloke uses his transplanted hand to save wife's life with CPR after heart attack
The parents believe their daughter's case was not taken seriously enough and an investigation has been launched.
After coming down with a cough and runny nose on December 7, Hailey was taken to see a GP who prescribed her antibiotics. She stopped taking them due to an allergic reaction.
At another appointment a week later, the family were told Hailey needed Calpol instead of antibiotics as she had a viral infection.
Her condition appeared to improve the day after that, but Kris found his daughter panting when he checked on her at 11pm.
He eventually drove her to A&E – after being told there was a two-hour wait for an ambulance – where they waited for over five hours before she was examined.
A doctor told the family to take her home after they checked her blood pressure but were unable to assess her tonsils.
Hailey's parents were told to keep her hydrated and dosed with Calpol. They were to bring her back to A&E in three days if her condition didn't improve.
Hailey was put to bed for the final time at 6.15pm on December 18. Kris had noticed she was panting again that evening, but not as severely as before.
Less than six hours later she was found "stiff", "discoloured" and "lying in exactly the same position" Kris saw her in when he went to bed at midnight.
Kris said: "We can't believe we have lost our little girl.
"It all happened so quickly. Something in her body took control of her.
"It was a horrible sight and will haunt me for the rest of my life."
December 18 was one of Wigan Infirmary's busiest-ever days and a 'critical incident' was later declared by the department.
But Hailey's parents are demanding to know why no blood samples were taken. They said Hailey was "gasping for breath like a 90-year-old", adding that her tonsils couldn't be checked as she was clamping her mouth shut and vomiting.
Kris added: "We want answers. How can a healthy baby die in her sleep?
"And why wasn't she tested for strep A, scarlet fever or Covid for instance?"
A spokesperson for Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust said: "Our sincere condolences go out to Hailey's family at this tragic time.
"We are aware of the family's concerns and are currently awaiting further information to understand more."
Ibolya and Kris have endured an agonising wait for answers, with a post-mortem due to be carried out tomorrow (Wednesday, December 28).
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.
Dad who lost all his limbs in freak accident says his 8 kids now go without food
Boy, 4, dies in Center Parcs Christmas Eve tragedy after 'serious incident'
Bloke fuming after penis unnecessarily amputated by doc who 'played Russian Roulette'
Source: Read Full Article