How Lotto winner splashed out £40m of £161m jackpot in 8 years before he died

Don’t miss a thing by getting the Daily Star’s biggest headlines straight to your inbox!

A Euromillions lottery winner who took home a huge £161m spent £40m of it in just eight years before he sadly passed away.

Colin Weir and his now ex-wife Christine scooped the massive jackpot in 2011 and split the money.

He was the UK’s biggest lottery winner and ended up spending half of his £80m share before he died on luxury items and causes close to his heart.

Colin sadly passed away at the age of 71 after contracting sepsis and an ‘acute kidney injury’ in 2019, according to The Sun.

However, Colin did seem to make the most of his fortune with the dad-of-two sharing his wealth with friends and family.

He even invested some of his winnings in well known brands with the Scotsman ploughing £10,000 for stakes in Irn-Bru and over £20,000 in Greggs.

Colin also bought numerous properties with a £1.1m seafront property in Ayr and a £3.5m mansion near Troon, which he later signed over to his ex-wife.

He also had a varied property portfolio of around £12.3m.

  • Child killer Colin Pitchfork back behind bars just weeks after release

According to The Sun, he owned a large car collection worth around £100,000, which included a vintage Bentley, a Jaguar and two Mercedes Benz.

Colin also part-owned three thoroughbreds, which is thought to be valued at over £8,000.

As well as spending the cash, he and his wife Christine also used to help people through the Weir Charitable Trust helping various causes.

  • Flesh-eating superbug ate away at nan's face leaving her needing a nose job

In 2012, the couple paid a five-figure sum to provide new prosthetic limbs for 13-year-old Kieran Maxwell from County Durham, after had lost part of his leg due to cancer.

Colin's will revealed just over £40m that will be set up in a trust to provide funds for people who need help, as well as charities and organisations.

One of Colin’s last purchases was stakes in his beloved Partick Thistle Football Club just a month before he died.

For the latest breaking news and stories from across the globe from the Daily Star, sign up for our newsletter by clicking here.

The life-long supporter purchased a 55% share in the club with a £2.5m investment which helped set up the Thistle Weir Youth Academy and a stand at Firhill Stadium was named the Colin Weir Stand, according to the BBC.

Following his death, Chief executive of Patrick Thistle Gerry Britton said: “The impact he has had on our academy, our club, our women's development programme over many years is a big loss we are all feeling.

"The whole pathway that was altered by him through the Thistle Weir Youth Academy. We now have a professional structure we didn't have and so many have benefitted from that.”

  • Euromillions

Source: Read Full Article