Heartbreak as gran left brain dead after spending £18k on botched surgery

A "fit and healthy" beautician has been left brain dead after she spent £18k on a cosmetic surgery that went wrong.

Beata Filipek, 57, is in a coma following the freak reaction she endured while undergoing a dentistry procedure in Poland.

The mum, whose family are from Leeds, West Yorkshire, was reportedly given fentanyl during the procedure which then sparked a devastating chemical reaction.

READ MORE: Benidorm legend Sticky Vicky rushed to hospital as fans pray for X-rated magic act star

Polish national Beata booked the £18,569 procedure so she could keep up with her looks after she started to experience bone loss in her lower jaw.

Her family said she decided to get the procedure done at a private clinic located in Lublin, eastern Poland, on April 13.

That afternoon, she messaged her aunt that she had signed all the consents, and the treatment began.

It was supposed to last 90 minutes and she had to wait two hours until she recovered from the anaesthetic.

Beata's aunt called her at 7pm but, after getting no reply, she went around to the clinic.

She was horrified to find her niece lying unconscious on the bed with a plastic mask on her face. Beata was rushed to an intensive care unit at a nearby hospital, reports The Mirror.

Just days later, Beata's sister Dagmara flew to Poland from her home in the USA to find out what really happened to her sister.

She said: "I entered the doctor's office under the pretext that I was a client.

Have you suffered from a botched procedure? Contact us at [email protected]

  • Surgeon banned from cosmetic procedures after stopping ops mid way to record TikToks

"They took me upstairs. He closed the door, and only then did I admit that I was Beata Filipek's sister.

"He got very scared and said 'I really don't know what happened, but her blood pressure started to drop. It was very hard to pull out teeth. I even stopped doing the procedure because I felt something was wrong'."

Dagmara added the doctor ordered a quick recovery from anaesthesia, but that she would have to find out exactly what happened from the anaesthesiologist.

Dagmara called the anaesthesiologist who allegedly told her: "I don't know what happened, but she got some convulsions."

Beata only had three of her teeth removed. The doctor did not have time to insert the implants.

The clinic was due to return the money for the unfinished procedure.

The family say an MRI scan has revealed irreversible changes in Beata's brain, plus damage to the cerebral cortex – a sheet of neural tissue covering the brain.

Speaking from her home in Leeds, Ellie Mae Fitzgerald, 26, mother of Beata's three grandchildren, said: "I cannot believe what has happened to my mother-in-law.

"I am completely devastated. I have told my three children that their grandmother will never recover from her injuries.

"She has now been transferred from hospital to a rehabilitation centre but I've been told by doctors she is brain dead and will never recover.

"A couple of weeks ago she opened her eyes which gave us some hope but doctors have confirmed that there is nothing more they can do.

"Apparently she was given fentanyl and she has reacted to it."

Dagmara, who has complained to the prosecutor's office, is holding a bedside vigil in Poland.

A police investigation has been launched.

READ NEXT:

  • Football bosses investigating match-fixing claims after matches finish 95-0 and 91-0

  • Mum blasts airline after 'losing' her daughter, 12, in people trafficking hotspot

  • Major crisis facing Russian football clubs after Vladimir Putin's invasion of Ukraine

  • Mum splashes £250k on massive derelict castle – without telling her husband

  • Bus demolished in crash carrying Bulgaria national team with one player hospitalised

Source: Read Full Article