A mum says her young daughter was left "screaming in agony" after her skin "melted within minutes" of being in the sun despite having lathered her in factor 50 suncream.
Mum-of-two Jasmine Williams, from Pwllheli in North Wales, says she used NIVEA Sun Protect and Moisture on her daughter on Monday afternoon, writes North Wales Live.
She said the seven-year-old went out to play in the garden with her brother but within five minutes she ran back in "squealing" and shouting "my back is on fire."
READ MORE: Nearly half of dog owners are unaware that their pooch should be wearing sunscreen
The mum says as soon as her daughter rushed into the house she could see that her back and shoulders had turned bright red and giant blisters began forming on her skin.
Jasmine, 27, described her daughter's ordeal as "horrific."
She said: "At first I thought she was fighting with her brother but I quickly noticed the difference in her cry and she started shouting 'my back is on fire'."
"She ran in and I could see the blisters forming before my eyes. I didn't know what to do – I couldn't touch her to comfort her, I couldn't hold her because it was too painful for her.
"I thought she was going to collapse in pain, she was absolutely hysterical. Her skin looked as though she'd had boiling water from a kettle poured on her."
The mum says her daughter has no allergies and has never had an issue with any suncream in the past.
She added: "I feel riddled with guilt. I always check the labels on everything, it's a habit because some of my family members have allergies. She was adamant she didn't want to go to the hospital after a bad experience when she was younger so I took her to the chemist and they said it doesn't look anything like an allergic reaction.
To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.
"I just want other parents to be aware. I feel so guilty that this has happened but at least if I put it out there then people will know."
A Nivea Sun spokesperson said the firm had been in touch with the family to "understand more about what happened in this instance".
The spokesperson said: "Consumer trust in the safety of our products is our highest priority and we are dedicated to developing products that reliably and effectively protect against sun damage.
"We are currently in contact with Jasmine Williams, who contacted our consumer relations team via email yesterday (Monday 11th July) and has since had a telephone consultation this afternoon to understand more about what happened in this instance.
"We rigorously test each of our NIVEA SUN formulations and their labelled SPFs according to internationally standardised test methods at independent test institutes, so we can always ensure consistent, high-quality efficacy and consumer safety of all NIVEA SUN products."
Meghan 'insisted' the butler took over Harry's 'office coffee round', claims source
Two Met Police officers sacked over racist Meghan Markle joke and ‘abhorrent’ messages
Dad who tutored son for a year filmed crying after he gets 6 out of 100 on maths exam
'Bubble wrap space shield' could reverse global warming and save the planet
Bloke KO'd by brutal elbow to face as family brawl like scene from Shameless
Source: Read Full Article