First coronavirus victim who worked in Wuhan market makes miracle recovery

A seafood merchant believed to be the first recorded coronavirus victim has made a miracle recovery from the deadly bug.

Wei Guixian, 57, was discharged this morning after an eye-watering £8,467 hospital stay.

After originally taking ill at the Hua'nan market, Wuhan on December 10th, Wei ignored the symptoms after thinking they were a common cold.

She later went to a private clinic and was administered antibiotics and an intravenous drip with doctors claiming she was suffering from bronchitis.

However, she was later admitted to the respiratory ward at the Xiehe Hospital before losing consciousness.

Medics carried out several tests which entailed a throat swab and endoscopies but the market trader couldn't officially be diagnosed with the virus.

Weeks later her symptoms were connected to similar cases within the area as most sufferers were also market traders.

Wei was placed in quarantine with doctors treating her from behind face masks.

  • Shopkeeper explains astronomic £29.99 price hike for hand sanitiser

Now she is relaxing at her two-bedroom apartment while her daughter remains in a field hospital.

Despite a staggering medical bill, she feels as though she has been lucky.

"Some people spent so much money and still couldn't buy their lives," she told the Wall Street Journal.

  • John Lewis to close all 50 stores as COVID-19 pandemic continues

With the pandemic spreading across the globe, she believes that she may have contracted the virus by sharing the same toilet seat as the wild meat sellers on the market.

She claims that vendors on both sides of her market stall had tested positive for COVID-19 as well as one of her daughters, her niece and her niece's husband.

Wei went on to claim that "a lot few people would have died" in China if the government had taken action sooner.

There have been more than 301,463 cases of COVID-19 around the globe, with 233 deaths being confirmed in the UK.

Source: Read Full Article