Coronavirus epicentre Wuhan re-opens after two-month lockdown and 50,000 cases

Wuhan, the Chinese city where the coronavirus first emerged, partly re-opened today after two months of near total isolation.

The city in Hubei province was placed under a total lockdown in January after the disease swept through the community and deaths rocketed.

State media confirmed the city is showing signs of normal life after a passenger train arrived back into the city after midnight.

People are also now allowed to enter Wuhan, but not leave it, and trains into the capital have reportedly been booked days in advance.

Staff at the Chinese station were dressed head-to-toe in hazmat suits and wore other items of protective clothing.

One woman, who had managed to slip back into Wuhan a day before the travel restrictions were lifted, said she had been away from her husband for 10 weeks.

She said: "As the train neared Wuhan, my child and I were both very excited.

"It felt like the train was moving faster than before, and my daughter said the driver must know we really want to go home.

"She rushed toward her father, and watching them from behind I couldn’t help but cry."

China is still battling cases of the coronavirus, and all arrivals in Wuhan have to show a green code on a mobile app to prove they are healthy.

Restrictions on residents heading out of Wuhan will not be lifted until April 8, when the airport will also reopen for domestic flights.

Wuhan paid a heavy price for the outbreak, with more than 50,000 people infected and more deaths than any other city in China.

Numbers all over the country have fallen dramatically in recent weeks as cases continue to soar abroad.

  • Coronavirus

Source: Read Full Article