Categories
World News

Islamic State gunman kills 25 in attack on Sikh house of worship in Kabul

A lone Islamic State gunman rampaged through a Sikh house of worship in the heart of the Afghan capital Wednesday, killing 25 worshippers and wounding eight, Afghanistan’s Interior Ministry said.

The gunman held many worshippers hostage for several hours while Afghan special forces, helped by international troops, tried to clear the building. At least one of the dead was a child.

Within hours, the Islamic State group claimed responsibility for the attack.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

New Zealand mosque terror attacker changes plea to guilty after killing 51

A gunman who killed 51 worshippers in two New Zealand mosques has changed his plea to guilty, admitting all murder charges.

Brenton Tarrant opened fire during Friday Prayers last year in New Zealand, Christchurch.

The 29-year-old had previously denied the charges and was due to go on trial in June, but has changed his plea in a shock move.

Tarrant appeared via video link at Christchurch High Court due to the current coronavirus outbreak which has placed New Zealand on lockdown.

The BBC reports, Judge Justice Mander said: "It is regrettable that the Covid-19 restrictions that presently apply do not permit victims and their families to travel to be present in the courtroom when the defendant entered his pleas of guilty."

Brenton Tarrant is accused of carrying out the murders on March 15, 2019.

Australian Brenton Harrison Tarrant, 29, admitted he alone was responsible for the deadly attacks in the Christchurch last March, according to local reports.

The attack prompted New Zealand's gun reforms, after Tarrant livestreamed the murders and uploaded on to Facebook.

Using a GoPro camera he could be seen going into the Al Noor mosque, firing his gun at least 205 times.

According to Newstalk ZB, Tarrant also admitted 40 charges of attempted murder relating to the two attacks at Masjid Al Noor and Linwood Islamic Centre in the South Island city on March 15, 2019.

In a manifesto posted by him on Facebook, he wrote explained why he carried out the attack, to avenge “thousands of deaths caused by foreign invaders”.

  • Shooting
  • Crime
  • In the News

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Murder investigation underway after midnight shooting in quiet Kelowna neighbourhood

A man was shot dead in a car on an otherwise quiet residential cul-de-sac in Kelowna’s Upper Mission neighbourhood on Tuesday night.

Neighbours flooded 911 with calls of gunshots along the 300 block of Trumpeter Court just before midnight, according to Kelowna RCMP.

The murder appears to be targeted, according to police.

“Police are maintaining the crime scene for examination and are canvassing for witnesses and video surveillance footage,” said RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Jocelyn Noseworthy.

No suspects have been located, Noseworthy added.

Trumpeter Court is part of a residential neighbourhood that many families call home. It is located on Kelowna’s south slopes.

The shooting is being investigated by the Kelowna RCMP Serious Crime Unit.

Anyone with information is asked to call Kelowna RCMP or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Family of murdered girl, 7, break silence after fatal stabbing

The family of a seven-year-old girl stabbed to death in Bolton have paid tribute to her.

Police were called to the park in the Queen's Park area of the town where they found little Emily Jones suffering from her injuries.

She had been slashed in the throat by a woman in front of her horrified mum and dad.

Emily sadly passed away later despite the best efforts of her family and medical responders.

A 30-year-old woman was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder.

She was assessed by specialist medical staff and detained under the Mental Health Act, and remains in a highly secure facility.

Paying tribute to Emily, her parents said: "Emily was seven years old, our only child and the light of our lives.

"She was always full of joy, love and laughter.

"Emily had such a cheeky smile and was beautiful inside and out. She had a heart as big as her smile."

They went on: "Emily was never happier than when she was spending time with her family and friends, she was our own little social butterfly.

"Emily had a passion for the outdoors and loved to play any sport, even when she was wearing her pink sparkly dresses!

"We are beyond devastated that this random act of violence means that we will never get to see our beautiful little girl grow up into the wonderful young lady she was showing such promise of becoming.

"It is truly heartbreaking to wake up to a world without Emily in it and we cannot comprehend why this has happened.

"We would like to thank the members of the public that assisted us in the park and express our gratitude to the emergency services for doing their upmost to save Emily's life.

"Thank you to everyone for their kind messages of support and for continuing to respect our privacy at this difficult time."

Greater Manchester Police said in a statement: "Shortly before 2.35pm on Sunday, March 22 2020, police were called to Queen's Park in Bolton following reports that a child had been stabbed.

"Emergency services attended and found that a young girl – who has since been formally identified as seven-year-old Emily Jones – had been attacked by a woman with a knife.

"Emily sadly passed away a short while later despite the best efforts of her family and medical responders.

"The 30-year-old woman arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder was assessed by specialist medical staff and detained under the Mental Health Act.

"She remains in a highly secure facility."

Police are still appealing for the public to come forward and help.

Anyone with information is asked to call police on 0161 856 8797 or 101 quoting incident number 1430 of 22/03/20, or email [email protected]

Footage or images which could help with enquiries should be sent to [email protected]

Witnesses can also contact the charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

  • Knife Crime
  • Family
  • Crime

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Yob choked and threatened to kill partner after she washed hands in wrong sink

A thug “terrorised” his ex-girlfriend over a three-year period and attacked her after she washed her hands in the wrong sink.

Matthew Coppell, 40, from Liverpool, would pull his victim’s hair, put his hands around her neck, pin her down by leaning on her chest and punched her in the face, Hull Crown Court heard.

He abused his partner physically and emotionally over a three-year period.

Coppell had known his partner for nine years and moved from Liverpool to Hull over six years ago to live with her, Hull Live reports.

Prosecuting, Phillip Evans told the court: “Usually on the back of arguments the defendant, she says, holds strong views.

“He has pulled her hair, grabbed her by the wrists, placed his hands around her neck and dragged her back into a room when she has tried to leave.

“The arguments of which she speaks went on for around a year and had been on a weekly basis, leaving her emotionally drained.

“She says the arguments went on for hours on end. She was punched in the face and the defendant leaned on her chest and collarbone.”

On November 2 last year, an argument between Coppell and the complainant erupted over her washing her hands in the bathroom sink.

Mr Evans added: “This led to her hair being pulled.

“She was holding a tin of beans at the time which she used to strike the defendant with.

“He became aggressive and attacked her in the dining room as she tried to make her way into the living room where she tried to call the police. He took her phone and removed the battery.

“The defendant then placed her onto the sofa and placed a blanket over her face, causing her to struggle to breathe, and leaving her with a bruise to her neck and collarbone.

  • Meghan Markle could take on 'new surname' after dramatic royal exit

“The defendant, for the first time, said he wanted to kill her.”

The couple had a further argument on November 10 when Coppell wanted dinner to be served, leading to a row over food bills.

Mr Evans said: “The defendant shouted at her and asked why she didn’t help him. He attacked her, again pinning her to the sofa whilst leaning on her chest.

In a victim impact statement, the complainant said she had become “tired and worn down” by the abuse she suffered.

She also admitted to having thoughts of taking her own life.

Judge John Thackray sentenced Coppell, who has now returned to Liverpool, to a nine-month prison term, suspended for two years.

  • Coronavirus: Brit 'nurse dies at hospital after taking overdose'

He said: “Your offending had a profound effect upon the complainant. You terrified your victim. You terrorised her.

“Your offending was over a significant period following or during what has been a nine-year relationship. Your offending is so serious only a custodial sentence can be justified. The question is whether or not that can be suspended.

“I have to consider carefully whether you can be managed within the community. I adopt the view that your risk can be managed and you can be rehabilitated in the community.”

Coppell was also ordered to complete 30 days of rehabilitation activity requirement and adhere to an electronically monitored curfew for six months.

He must also not set foot on the street of the complainant's address, or attempt to contact her either directly or indirectly for a year.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

N.S. RCMP seek public help in violent assault, break-in investigation

RCMP are asking for the public’s help as they investigate a violent assault and break-in at a home in Priestville, N.S,. on Friday.

At approximately 9:49 p.m., officers of the Pictou District detachment responded to a call of a woman who said she had been hit in the head and needed assistance.

When police arrived at the scene, they learned that between three and four men, all wearing masks, entered a home and hit the two occupants in the head with a baseball bat.

The men reportedly stole cash and marijuana before fleeing the area in a small dark sedan, which police describe as being similar to a Honda Civic.

The vehicle was last spotted travelling in the direction of Sherbrooke Road, toward Highway 104.

Police say the two victims were taken to hospital by Emergency Health Services. Their injuries are not believed to be life-threatening.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Girl raped by boy as young as 12 says ‘I will never get my childhood back’

A woman "still feels petrified" after being the victim of a series of "horrible" sex attacks when she was just a young girl.

Craig Baker, now 31, of Dudley Street, Grimsby, was aged just 12 or 13 when he first raped the girl.

He later twice raped her again during likely "sexual experimentation" and also indecently assaulted her as well as abusing another young girl.

Baker was convicted of six offences after a trial.

They included three offences of rape and two of indecent assault against one girl and a charge of indecent assault against another girl.

He caused his victims to "suffer terribly" and to endure serious harm, a court heard.

One of the victims had "horrible memories" of her experiences and the other girl had been left terrified at reliving her ordeal in court.

The girls were aged under 13 at the time and he was no older than 12 to 16.

Baker, a former Scunthorpe steelworker, was cleared by the jury at Grimsby Crown Court of two other offences and acquitted of four others on the direction of the judge.

One of the victims said in a statement: "There are so many ways this has affected my life. My only childhood memories are negative ones.

  • Boyfriend with 'dreadful temper' killed mum, 26, 'hours after date night selfie'

"I still feel petrified. I will never get my childhood back. Inside, I still feel disgusted in every way.

"Currently, I quite often contemplate suicide. It's hard not to think of those horrific memories.

"This puts a lot of strain on my marriage. I struggle daily trusting anybody. I can't help but feel negative all of the time because of my experiences.

"I struggle to sleep a full night. This is never going to get better for me.

"I never asked for any of this. I will always feel alone in this world."

  • Miss Hitler beauty pageant hopeful convicted of terror group membership

She had "horrible memories" of her experiences.

The other woman, who was the victim of one offence, said: "After the incident, that's when I believe I developed self-confidence issues.

"This confidence issue progressed into later years. I still have confidence issues and thoughts like this even to this present day."

She had self-harmed in previous years.

"I was terrified to give evidence," she said.

  • Former escort jailed for smuggling £1m of crystal meth in kids' toys and coffee

"However, since he was remanded in custody, I have never felt so free.

"Now, I can hopefully begin to piece my life back together. I never realised how the incident had affected my life until now."

Baker had been given a warning for unlawful sex when he was aged just 14.

Judge Mark Bury said Baker had claimed that both girls had lied but he had not put forward any reason for this.

  • Four men hanged after gang raping and murdering Delhi woman on bus

His motivation for the offences may have been "sexual experimentation" especially with the rape victim.

"You took advantage of her," said Judge Bury.

"She has nightmares on a regular basis and she has real suicidal tendencies.

"You knew what you were doing was wrong but you continued nevertheless despite your young age.

"You were only yourself a child when you began offending at the age of 12 and it came to an end when you were 16.

"They have suffered terribly as a result of your offending.

"It's plain that the degree of harm that you have caused is significant."

David Godfrey, mitigating, said that the incidents were in Baker's younger life and were isolated.

"Apart from that, he has led a fruitful life," said Mr Godfrey.

Baker had a previous conviction for wounding and a caution for possessing Class A drugs.

He was jailed for seven-and-a-half years and will have to register as a sex offender for life.

For emotional support, you can call the Samaritans 24-hour helpline on 116 123, email [email protected], visit a Samaritans branch in person or go to the Samaritans website.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

N.S. police watchdog investigating alleged domestic abuse by officer

Nova Scotia’s police watchdog is investigating allegations of domestic violence at the hands of a local RCMP officer.

The Serious Incident Response Team (SiRT) opened the case on Friday, after it was notified of the alleged assaults by the Halifax District RCMP.

“An civilian adult male, the affected party, contacted the RCMP to report that he was a victim of domestic violence,” reads a news statement from SiRT.

Pat Curran, interim director for SiRT, confirmed the adult male is a civilian and none of the alleged assaults involved a weapon. He was unable to elaborate on the relationship between the victim and RCMP officer.

Curran also couldn’t speculate on how long investigation into the matter will take, but said he doubted it would be one of the “lengthier cases.”

A single investigator has been assigned to the issue.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Truck found with 8,000 kilos of stolen toilet paper during coronavirus crisis

A truck that was reported stolen was discovered this week filled with over 8,000kg (18,000 pounds) of toilet paper and various commercial paper products, amid the coronavirus panic-buying crisis.

Police began following the tractor-trailer after it was flagged for a motor vehicle violation, according to Newswpxi.com.

Upon discovery, cops understood the vehicle to be stolen and filled with paper products.

An investigation has been launched and no arrests have been made.

Throughout the world, worried shoppers have been fighting over toilet paper and other products amid the coronavirus outbreak.

Brits have taken panic buying to the next level as fighting and screaming were reported in supermarkets across the country following the coronavirus outbreak.

Last week, A 13-year-old girl was trampled on in a stampede after shoppers rushed into a supermarket to grab toilet roll.

Photos from supermarkets around the world show shelves stripped bare with people queuing up with trolleys piled high with bog roll.

Although there is no evidence to suggest there will be a toilet roll shortage, worried shoppers are still adamant to stock up.

This has also caused some shops to sell rolls at extortionate prices.

Panic-buying over coronavirus triggered a brawl in a supermarket as two women were filmed fighting over toilet paper in Australia.

Popular presenter Paddy McGuiness slammed shoppers who were buying huge amounts of toilet roll.

The former Take Me Out Presenter took to his Instagram page to say: "I'm about to risk my first big shop since all the madness happened.

"I hope there's stuff on the shelves after all the absolute tools stripped everything all the pensioners and everyone else who couldn't get to the supermarkets."

The coronavirus pandemic has gripped the world, forcing nations to go on lockdown as governments try to contain the spread of COVID-19.

In fear of lockdown and the uncertainty surrounding the timing of it, shoppers have resulted in stockpiling.

Source: Read Full Article

Categories
World News

Person in life-threatening condition after being stabbed with sword in North York

Toronto police say a person is in life-threatening condition after being stabbed by a man wielding two swords in Toronto Friday morning

Police said officers responded to a call from a business in the area of Torbarrie Road and Wilson Avenue just before 8:30 a.m.

It was reported that an altercation broke out when a man walked in wielding two swords.

Police said a person was stabbed and was rushed to a trauma centre in life-threatening condition.

The suspect was still there when officers arrived and he was arrested.

There is no further information on suspect or victim.

The investigation is ongoing.

Source: Read Full Article